Buffy Lovelady is the Care Transition Coordinator at Encompass Health, a national network of inpatient rehabilitation hospitals, home health facilities, and hospice agencies dedicated to providing high-quality, cost-effective integrated care to patients, providers, and caregivers. Buffy has over 20 years of experience in the nursing field with over 15 years in the home health and hospice industry. She is passionate about ensuring patients and caregivers receive the quality healthcare they deserve.
Buffy joins me today to discuss the difference between home health and hospice services. We discuss the myths and misconceptions about home health and hospice services, how to qualify for each type of service, and the various costs associated with using these services. We discuss why it’s critical for hospital patients to receive transitional care after being discharged and how it can help prevent future hospitalizations. We also discuss what patients and caregivers can expect from receiving hospice care, the resources available to hospice patients, and the various services patients can decline while receiving hospice care.
“If you don’t continue to show a decline on hospice and you stable out and continue to do well – we discharge you from hospice.” – Buffy Lovelady
This week on JeriTalk:
- What drew Buffy to work in the home health and hospice services industry
- What sets Encompass Health apart from other home health and hospice agencies
- The difference between home health services versus hospice care services
- The criteria to qualify for home health services and the steps caregivers should take to start the process
- The importance of transitional care for patients
- The various types of services available for home health patients and the costs associated with using home health services
- The difference between home health services and private sitting services
- Debunking the myths and misconceptions around hospice care
- Managing patient pain during hospice care
- Resources available to patients on hospice and the services patients can choose not to utilize while receiving hospice care
- Buffy’s advice to family caregivers on navigating home health and hospice care
Connect with Buffy Lovelady:
Subscribe, Rate & Connect with JeriTalk
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of JeriTalk – the podcast for modern caregivers juggling work, home, family, kids, and everything in between. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or Spotify to subscribe to the show and leave an honest review. Don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with your friends, family, and coworkers to help us spread the word and empower more caregivers with the tools, resources, and support they need to thrive in their caregiving journey.