Dr. Justin Vines is a primary care physician currently practicing at Total Healthcare at the Russell Medical Foundation in Alexander City, Alabama. He obtained his medical degree and completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Alabama in Birmingham. Dr. Vines is passionate about his work with families and his commitment to patient care.
Dr. Vines joins me today to discuss why it’s crucial for patients to view their primary care physician as a healthcare and caregiving partner. We discuss his perspective on common misconceptions around what it truly means to practice family medicine and why he believes PCP’s are a patient’s first line of defense against serious illnesses. We discuss the role that your primary care physician plays in managing and caring for your aging loved one and when you should visit your PCP regarding health-related concerns. We also discuss some of the common chronic health conditions and concerns caregivers should be aware of, the importance of educating yourself on these concerns, and the top four tools he recommends to all family caregivers.
“Because of that relationship that we form – we are a resource for the caregiver as much as for the person receiving care.” – Dr. Justin Vines
This week on JeriTalk:
- Demystifying common misconceptions on the role of PCP’s and what practicing family medicine truly means
- How PCP’s can serve as a patient’s first line of defense against serious health concerns
- What family caregivers need to understand about their relationship with their loved one’s PCP
- Why it’s okay to speak with the family PCP about sensitive concerns – even when your family member isn’t present
- The importance of considering PCP’s as a partner in your loved one’s health
- When you should consult with your loved one’s physician about health-related concerns
- Common chronic illnesses, diseases, and disorders that caregivers need to be aware of
- The importance of being honest and open with your physician
- The four most valuable tools for family caregivers
- The importance of ensuring caregivers understanding their role as a patient advocate
Connect with Dr. Justin Vines:
Subscribe, Rate & Connect with JeriTalk
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of JeriTalk – the podcast for modern caregivers juggling work, home, family, kids, and everything in between. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or Spotify to subscribe to the show and leave an honest review. Don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with your friends, family, and coworkers to help us spread the word and empower more caregivers with the tools, resources, and support they need to thrive in their caregiving journey.