Dr. Justin Vines is a practicing PCP at Total Healthcare, located at the Russell Medical Foundation in Alexander City, Alabama. Dr. Vines earned his medical degree and completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Alabama and is passionate about his work with families and caregivers as well as his commitment to patient care.
Dr. Vines joins me again today to discuss COVID-19, what it is, and why it’s considered a ‘novel’ virus. We discuss what caregivers need to know to help keep the spread of the coronavirus at a minimum for themselves and their loved ones. We discuss what social distancing is, what it truly means, and how it can help minimize the risk of spreading novel viruses like COVID-19. We also discuss how practicing good hygiene habits, like regularly washing your hands and sanitizing surfaces, can help prevent the spread of COVID-19 as well as when you should consider calling your doctor if you think you’re presenting symptoms of coronavirus.
“We don’t have an effective treatment or an effective cure or vaccine for COVID-19 right now, so an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. If you can prevent ever being exposed to it, that’s our best option right now.” – Dr. Justin Vines
This week on JeriTalk:
- What COVID-19 is and why it’s considered a novel virus
- Why COVID-19 is a dangerous virus for the elderly and people with compromised immune systems and why there are more confirmed cases in the older population than in pediatric patients
- What is social distancing and why it’s a critical practice during global pandemics
- What caregivers need to consider when caring for their elderly loved ones during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Determining when to visit your physician if you think you or your loved one present symptoms of COVID-19
- What caregivers can do to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus
- How we can stay socially connected during times of quarantines and statewide lockdowns
- Personal hygiene best practices and why using masks and hand sanitizers is not the only way to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) – What You Need to Know – Center for Disease Control
Connect with Dr. Justin Vines:
Subscribe, Rate & Connect with JeriTalk
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of JeriTalk – the podcast for modern caregivers juggling work, home, family, kids, and everything in between. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or Spotify to subscribe to the show and leave an honest review. Don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with your friends, family, and coworkers to help us spread the word and empower more caregivers with the tools, resources, and support they need to thrive in their caregiving journey.