Jennifer Gumbel is an estate planning attorney who practices in the areas of estate planning, probate, real estate, and business entities. She earned her J.D. from Drake University Law School in Iowa and practices in Minnesota at Hoversten, Johnson, Beckmann & Hovey, LLP. When she is not working at the firm, Jennifer writes blog articles on her topics of expertise and records her podcast, An Organized (after)Life. She is passionate about helping people organize and manage their estates after losing someone they love and empowering people to leave the best legacy possible.
Jennifer joins me to share how to organize your assets and finances to be prepared for the afterlife. She shares how having a plan in place can help family members know what to expect and find some grounding amid grief. Jennifer also highlights how you can normalize the conversation about estate planning, so it doesn’t have to be a taboo topic for you and your family.
“Acknowledging that you don’t get forever can really alter how you look at things, how you approach your day to day life.” – Jennifer Gumbel
This week on JeriTalk:
- What probate is and what an organized afterlife looks like
- The importance of strategizing your legal to-do list and what that list should include
- Two different types of assets that most people will have when they pass away
- What to keep in mind as a blended family when thinking about estates
- Best practices for understanding and organizing your assets
- How an attorney can serve as a valuable partner throughout the process
- How often you should revisit your estate plan and assets
- First steps for getting started on organizing your estate plan
- How to approach the difficult conversations that come with planning for the future
Connect with Jennifer Gumbel:
- An Organized (after)Life
- An Organized (after)Life: Content
- An Organized (after)Life: Podcast
- An Organized (after)Life on Facebook
- Jennifer Gumbel on LinkedIn
- Jennifer Gumbel on Instagram
- Jennifer Gumbel on Twitter
- Jennifer Gumbel on YouTube
Subscribe, Rate & Connect with JeriTalk
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of JeriTalk – the podcast for modern caregivers juggling work, home, family, kids, and everything in between. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or Spotify to subscribe to the show and leave an honest review. Don’t forget to share your favorite episodes with your friends, family, and coworkers to help us spread the word and empower more caregivers with the tools, resources, and support they need to thrive in their caregiving journey.
And for more great content, be sure to visit our website or follow us on Facebook.
Join the discussion